Process 1. Diagnosis — Broken
- You’re in Starbucks.
- You order your coffee.
- They ask you your first name.
- Reluctantly you give it (OK, I confess I always say my first name is Mr Customer).
- The barista writes your name on the cup and passes the cup down the production line.
- You wait.
- Finally Barista Number 2 puts a cup down on the counter and calls out “Double espresso?”
- And eight people say “Yeah, me!”
Process 2. Diagnosis — Broken
- You’re in McDonalds.
- You use the machine to place your order.
- You pay and it spits out an order number.
- You go and look at the screen.
- Your order number is being prepared.
- Now your order number is ready to collect.
- “Quarterpounder with cheese?” calls the McDonalds worker.
- And eight people go: “Yeah, me!”
Guys, why are you doing things?
In every organisation there are multiple processes just like this.
Show up, ask yourself questions. Make changes. Live better.